Cold Move has roots that trace back to the mid 1950's when the Company's founding father, Bill Woodward, began importing sausages off the boat train from Ireland and then distributing them from his then home in a small village outside Oswestry in Shropshire, to local shops and pubs.
The original business was registered as Woodward Distributors (Selattyn) Ltd and became known throughout the frozen food industry as "Woodwards".
Showing admirable foresight, Bill expanded into the then fledgeling frozen food industry to become the first frozen food wholesaler and distributor in the region. The business grew to such a stage that in 1970, he decided to build a warehouse and distribution facility in Oswestry on the Maesbury Road Industrial Estate.
From this site, frozen produce was stored, picked and distributed on a wholesale basis to many pubs, restaurants, corner shops and to the retailer trade.
Gradually, wholesaling to the retailers became extinct as they all pursued central buying policies but that left a hole in the supply chain for specialist providers of temperature controlled distribution. Woodwards adapted to the changes and the direction of the business concentrated on providing logistics services to the industry.
In 1979 to cater for the need to provide bulk cold storage, the Company set up their own public cold storage facility and traded as Shropshire Cold Storage.
In November 1996, Bill Woodward decided to retire and sold all his shares in the Company to his son Nigel.
The following August the wholesale operations were sold to Iceland plc so that the business could concentrate on its third party operations. Since "Woodwards" was a recognised name for the provision of wholesale frozen foods to the catering industry, as part of the deal, Iceland purchased the rights to the name which they used as the trade name for their wholesale division.
This created the need for a new corporate identity - hence Cold Move - a name which provides an immediate word picture of what we are about. By this time the facilities at Oswestry had grown to a temperature controlled storage capacity of over 15,000 pallets of food, delivering in excess of a quarter of a million cases of product each week to every Kwik Save shop west of a line from Southampton to Liverpool and distributing in excess of 2500 pallets per week, on behalf of manufacturers, to the wholesale and retail distribution centres throughout the UK.
In October 1998 a new warehouse was opened at Stone Cross Park, Golborne near Warrington. The 10,500 pallet cold store was built as the first phase of development on the site. The second phase opened in March 2005 extending the facility by some 17,000 pallet spaces thus taking the capacity to 27,500 spaces.
The hire and reward transport fleet has steadily grown over the years from the original 2 units and 2 forty foot trailers. In 1990 the fleet grew to 10 of each and in 1996 to 25 though at present 25 units and 30 trailers are being operated, making deliveries the length and breadth of the UK.
|Cold Move Late 1950's||Cold Move Today|
What does the future hold for Cold Move?
Of the 12 acres owned in Oswestry, 9 are developed and of the 7 1/2 acres owned in Golborne, 6 have been built upon. The Company has already had plans prepared for the next stages of development and the decision to proceed will be totally dependant upon demand from the market place.